Welcome to the B.A. or major in Writing & Rhetoric!
The first of its kind in the state of Florida, this B.A. is part of a growing trend of such majors nationwide (for example, see similar programs at Texas, Syracuse, Kentucky, Rhode Island, San Diego State).
In our program, you will
- Gain in-depth writing and rhetorical knowledge relevant to effective and ethical communication in the 21st century
- Become prepared for a range of grad/professional programs and jobs that involve the analysis, creation, editing, and coordination of texts
- Hone a number related skills and habits, including research, collaboration, problem solving, project management, and adaptability
- Design your own pathway through a flexible program of study
- Take courses with nationally recognized and engaging faculty
- Enjoy access to helpful advising and involvement opportunities.
We have created this website to provide you with valuable resources for navigating the major, making the most of your educational experience, and to prepare you for your next steps.
If you intend to declare the B.A. but haven’t yet, you can do so online in MyUCF. If you are new to UCF, you should not encounter any problems with this. If you are switching from another major at UCF, you will need to take the following two steps: 1) switch from your current major to any other major (e.g., History, Philosophy) that existed at UCF when you declared your major; 2) switch from the new, “placeholder” major to the B.A. in Writing & Rhetoric. Keep in mind that adding the B.A. as a second major will not subject you to Florida’s excess hours penalty.
In addition to this student guide and resource site, we will communicate with you in the following ways:
- B.A. email list: WritingandRhetoricBA@listserv.cc.ucf.edu (we regularly update this list with newly declared students)
- Advising (see Advising and Support page of this website); you should meet with an adviser at least once each term
- Kiosk with materials in foyer of Department of Writing & Rhetoric, 301 Colbourn Hall
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/UCFWrites